We welcome you to register for the third annual Bead, Hide & Fur Symposium! This event aims to create and build connection within the arts community, between artists young and old, emerging and experienced. It is scheduled November 11 to 13, 2022 at the Kwanlin Dün Cultural Centre in Whitehorse, Yukon. This three-day symposium is open to Indigenous artists who work with beads, hide, fur and other natural materials such as quills and fish scales.
The symposium will explore a variety of topics, share information and inspiration, identify challenges and opportunities within the sector, and determine ways to continue building a vibrant and viable Indigenous arts industry. The symposium will be held in a sewing circle format, with facilitated discussions and many learning opportunities.
There will also be a selection of hands-on workshops being offered throughout the day on Friday, November 11 and the evening of Saturday, November 12.
All participants are encouraged to bring completed works of art for Show & Share. These can be some of your favourite pieces from your personal or family collection (1-3 items) to be on display throughout the symposium in an informal gallery setting.
There will also be tables available where you can display and sell your work during breaks. Everyone is also encouraged to bring beading and sewing that you may want to exchange or give away, or work on for the duration of the weekend.
Registration is open to Indigenous artists from Yukon, Western Canada (NWT, BC, Alberta) and Alaska. The deadline to register is September 30, 2022.
Step 1: Click here to register
Step 2: Make your payment
Registration is not official until payment has been received in full. Fees and travel subsidy information is below.
YFNCT will provide a travel subsidy and hotel accommodation to selected Yukon artists who live outside of Whitehorse. We have limited funding and will aim to support artists that need assistance to attend. Participants will be provided with a travel subsidy application once officially registered for the symposium.
YFNCT will contact all participants who are selected for travel and accommodation support with more information in mid-October.
- General Registration: $150 + GST
- Elders Registration (65+): FREE
- Workshops will range from $50 to $75 for registered participants and, in some cases, will be subject to an additional material fee. Should workshop cost be prohibitive, please reach out and we will discuss alternative sources of funding with you.
We will send you the workshop schedule and information once it’s complete and will open some seats in advance for online registration. In-person seats will be held for Elders.
If you do not have a credit card to pay for registration through Eventbrite please contact Erin Symington at firstname.lastname@example.org or (867) 667-7698 ext. 206 to organize payment by cheque or email transfer.
DATES AND TIMES
A schedule of events will be available late-October.
HOW TO PREPARE AND WHAT TO BRING
- A beading, sewing, or other quiet project in progress to work on during the symposium
- Completed works of art for Show & Share - your favourites from your personal or family collection (1-3 pieces)
- Beading / sewing supplies that you may want to exchange or share with others
- Your ideas and questions around pricing, selling, public education, and what you are willing to share in public workshops
We will be in touch once registration closes. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
867-667-7698 ext. 206